Egusi are melon seeds which are collected, dried, cracked from their white skin and ground to dust.
In west Africa, we use egusi to prepair delicious cuisines like egusi soup, egusi stew, egusi okro soup, egusi pudding and egusi vegetable soup and much more.
Egusi is a very healthy ingredient for preparing soup. In Africa, we have got varieties of tropical vegetables that goes well with egusi when used to prepare egusi soup.
Today , l am going to make a healthy and thick egusi soup using kale vegetable .
Egusi soup has so many versions. It can be cooked in different ways depending on where you hail from in Africa, your cou tey , tribe and village. Growing up in Africa , my granny used to make a very delicious bitterleaf egusi soup. Bitterleaf is a tropical vegetable.
Arthur: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 7 mins
Cook time 30 mins
Total time : 37 mins
- 1/2 cup tomato
- 1/2 cup ground egusi (melon seeds )
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 stock cube
- 1/4 cup ceayfish
- 8 slices of canda dry fish and stock fish, meat (optional ) its your choice
- 4 kale leaves
- Pepper ( optional )
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons of oil .
- Prepare your vegetables. Chop and Wash kale properly with warm water abd keep aside.
- Boil cow skin to tender. Use stock water to mix your egusi to form a paste and set aside.
- In a pot , pour some oil, and fry your onion and tomato
- When tomato and onion is dry add paet of the stock from the canda and place your egusi and over to simmer for 5 to 7 mins .
- Open to mix and add crayfish salt and stock cubes
- Add kale or any vegetable of your choice. And leave to simmer for 5 mins . Make sure you don’t overcook your vegetable.
Serving size 7 people
Please click on this link and watch video recipe;
Let me know how your own egusi soup taste after following up my recipe