Potato hotpot is an easy one pot recipe. We call it porridge potato or potash. We have been eating this one pot meal for decades in Africa.
It is a major staple and also very easy to prepare. You can garnish it with any vegetable of your choice or just keep it simple. I like it creamy with it thick broth souce generated out of the potato itself. I enjoy it with plenty of source without being watery. I give it a spinach touch just as l like doing with my porridge plantain and yam.
Potato hotpot is a yummy fusion of potato and tomato stew. It is commonly cooked in west Africa with palm oil and that gives it a very beautiful color. You can use any oil of your choice. I chosed vegetable oil.
This dish is usually eaten alone but it all depends on you to add any side dish of your choice to this dish.
The typical African traditional method of cooking potato hotpot while growing up in Africa was very sumple . It was only garnished with spinach but in the modern recipes today carrots, capsicums abd green beans are added and that makes it so colourful. It has actually undergone a total transformation process. But its up to you to decide how to dress your potash.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 4 blended tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon blended garlic
- 1 tablespoon blended ginger
- 1 red blended capsicum paste
- 2.5 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 scotch bonet pepper (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- I cup of chopped spinach
- A cup of diced carots.
- Wash properly peel and dice your potatoes or you just leave ut whole without dicing like in my case.
- Wash and dice onion
- Wash spinach properly and keep aside.
- Pour vegetable oil in a pot and heat.
- Place onion and fry
- Add tomato paste, garlic, ginger and stir.
- Allow to simmer for 10 mins while stiring.
- Add 3 cups of water and potatoes abd tge rest of the ingredients. Allow to simmer for 20 mins then add vegetable and after 5 mins remove from heat and allow to cold down for 10 mins.
- Dish and serve with liver souce.