This yam porridge/pottage is divine. It’s actually a one pot easy going meal. I cooked this for dinner. I was craving porridge yam for a long time, so I decided to quench that craving and make myself some delicious heavenly porridge yam. It turns out exactly the way l wanted. My kids enjoyed it .
This delicious goodness is enjoyed in most West African countries and beyond. In Cameroon we call porridge “Sese”. My grand mom used to say sese potato, sese yam , sese plantains. Meaning porridge.
I added our traditional palm oil to give it that nice colour. Easy, attractive and delicious. Adding vegetable into it is your choice. Not obligatory but nutritive .
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time :10mins
Cook time :25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Serves : 7
- 1/2 tuber medium pure white yam well washed and sliced in cubes or chunks.
- A handful of crayfish
- A cup of tomato paste
- 1 red onion
- A tablespoon of Ginger and garlic paste
- 2 Maggi cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 kg of meat
- Meat stock
- A cup of Stock fish
- A handful of well washed bitter leaf ( or any green vegetable of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 2 tablespoons palm oil )
- White pepper
- In a small pot , add 2 cups of water and place well washed and diced meat, marinate with Maggi and salt and allow to cook until tender then set aside.
- In another pot pour coconut oil and fry onion into it until translucent.
- Add crayfish and stir. Add tomato paste and stir thoroughly until well fried.
- Add yam, meat and meat stock. Add 2 cups of water then marinate with salt and Maggi and white pepper and bitter leaf
- Allow to simmer for 25 mins
- Allow to cold down for 5 mins
- Enjoy !