For most of us who hail from Africa, rice and stew with some delicious fried chicken evokes good Christmas childhood memories. Most families especially mine has enjoyed this delicious delicacy for decades. It always has its special place on the table every Christmas. Kids adore this simple goodness. If you are a Christmas home cook guru like me then follow this simple step by step rice and stew recipe.
Some people love their rice saggy while some like it dry. It all depends on our preferences. Have you ever tried using the aromatic stock from your chicken to boil your rice with ? Try and thank me later.
Let’s get started;
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 cups of white rice
- 5 Fresh Tomatoes
- 2 Fresh Onion
- 3 Clove of Garlic
- 1/2 Ginger Root
- 1/2 Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Can of Tomato Paste
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 4 Chicken drumsticks , 4 Chicken Wings
- 1 Tsp of white Pepper
- 1.5 Tsp of Salt
- 1 Tsp of African Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp of Maggi Seasoning or 1 Maggi Cube
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup plain flour
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time : 15 mins
Cook time: 1 h 45 mins
- Peel, chop, and wash the ginger, garlic, tomato, and onion
- Blend the ginger, garlic, tomato, onion. Add very little water before blending.
- Pour the olive oil into a large pot
- Put blended ingredients into the pot and fry for 1 hour and 30 mins until the stew goes from watery to thick, stir the stew from time to time to prevent it from burning.
- Cook on high heat, when the stew starts boiling stir in the tomato sauce and tomato paste then turn the heat down to medium
- When the stew is almost done you can add your seasoning
- Prepare your chicken while your tomato stew is frying.
- Wash and steam your chicken for about 15 mins, you can also add salt at this time and a bit on onion and leave to simmer.
- While the stew and chicken is still cooking you can go ahead and prepare the rice
- When the chickens semi ready drain the stock robe with egg deep into plain flour and fry. You will have a golden brownish crunchy chicken. Keep aside.
- Let your stew simmer on low heat for an additional 10 mins
- Dish out your rice and stew in a plate and chicken onto your rice and enjoy.