There are many different versions of pepper soups in Africa and Cameroon in particular. And l must declare all are very delicious and are good in the evening as dinner.
This meal has a crazy watery draw that doesn’t only melt in your mouth but easily passes through your throat very easily as you swallow with your fufu or garri.
This Okro pepper soup has been gently cooked to perfection with some rich pepper soup ingredients, okro, and some hot pepper .
I garnished this soup with some assorted fish and some fresh fish and prawns. These gave it a. Authentic gamy seafood flavour. The bay leaves garnished it with that exotic flavour.
This happens to be my favourite okra soup. I have been craving this for weeks now.
You may need to add more water if your pepper soup turns out thick .
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Course: Dinner / lunch
- 20 pieces okro (ladyfingers) sliced into two badges
- 2 red habanero peppers
- 15 pieces of fresh prawns
- 2 stock cubes
- A handful of crayfish or smoked prawns
- I diced mullet fish
- Stock fish ( optional )
- 1 tsp Salt
- 300 g of Smoked fish
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Scented bay leaves
- 1 tsp (akangwa ) Which is african ethnic spice or bi carb of soda to keep the okro green and drawy
- Grounded pepper soup spice
- 1 tbsp peppersoup spice
- Wash your okro thoroughly and diced them in two different ways. Divide into two portions of 10s. Diced the first portion into a round shape and chop the remaining 10 pieces and lightly blend them adding 2 cups of water, then set aside.
- In a medium size pot , place your fish and boil with 3 cups of water.
- Marinate fish with chopped onion , rosemary, salt , cubes, and bay leaves and some powder peppersoup spices . Cover and allow to simmer for 5 mins
- Make sure you have too much water since it’s peppersoup okro.
- Add bi carb of soda or akangwa
- Add peppersoup spice, crayfish , smoked fish and then add okro and some hot red peppers and stir as it simmers
- Let okro simmer for 5 minswhile stiring is between. It’s at this point you add your prawns. The prawns and fish will make your soup have a very delicious stock so you don’t need any extra stock. Please make sure you don’t cover the pot, and after putting in your okro. let it not cook for more than 5 mins. Note that okro doesn’t take long to cook if you cook it long you will kill all the beneficial food nutrients in the okro.
- You can enjoy this delicious soup with any type of swallow but traditionally with your hands .Garri , pounded yam, semolina, Eba, Amala are good companions for this soup.
Let me know how you cooked yours and do not forget to take a picture of your peppersoup okro and tag African diaspora cooking Australia. Will also be happy to read your beautiful comments below . Don’t forget to subscribe so that you don’t miss out on any of my recipes. See you soon with another recipe. Enjoy!